Date: 3 November 2019
Needed growth in energy efficiency for window products has been an ongoing concern for many years. Now however there are products that can meet the energy needs and also provide other important benefits. VIG Technologies LLC is leading the way in this space as a true “technology partner” supplying tempered vacuum insulated glass (tVIG™) units, manufacturing licenses and turn key tVig™ factories.
VIG Technologies LLC is the exclusive distributor for TVIG(tm) - division of LandGlass Technologies and they currently hold 182 tVIG™ patents in the Vacuum Insulating glass manufacturing process.
The key is energy savings. According the US Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkley Laboratories, $50 Billion of energy is lost out of America’s buildings with the weak point being windows. VIG Technologies has that solution. A stand-alone tVIG™ has reached an average value of an R-15.4. Special hybrid configurations can be assembled where the center of glass performance can reach up to R-35.1
That is incredible game changing performance for a window product.
Size and thickness parameters are also advancing. Current Maximum size is 60” x 96” with an expanding capability of 78 x 120 coming soon. Minimum and maximum thickness of tempered vacuum insulated glass units ranges from 0.26” (6.7mm) 0.33” (8.3mm) 0.41” (10.3mm) and 0.48 (12.3mm).
In addition to energy savings, tVIG™ is significant in the important area of occupant comfort. Acoustic performance reaches STC33/OITC 32 making the room calmer to match its already superior thermal benefit.
In addition the climate can gain from tVIG™ as according to many articles on carbon emissions, approximately 40% of all carbon emission world wide come from buildings and this problem is expected to grow. Utilizing tVIG™ is a part of that solution!
tVIG™ received major recognition in the “Top 10 Green Building Products” in 2018 by BuildingGreen and has continued to be seen as an important solution to meeting the energy goals in our world.
Need more details that make tVIG™ stand out and worth the consideration?
1. Tempered makes a BIG difference. tVIG™ Tempered vacuum insulated glass is the upgraded vacuum IG, which combines all the features of vacuum insulated glass and also safety. The tempered glass within the tVIG™ is also SGCC certified adding that extra layer of reliability and performance.
2. Safety Matters. By adopting the low temperature sealing technology, tVIG™ perfectly retains the safety features of tempered glass against impact. The surface stress of any position in tVIG™ tempered vacuum insulated glass exceeds 90MPa, which totally meets safety glass standards.
3. Performance. The thermal insulation performance of tVIG™ is 2 to 4 times better than insulated glass. tVIG™ has a high vacuum interspace that eliminates any gas heat transfer. By using high-performance Low-E coating, it also considerably suppresses radiation heat transfer and reduces the U-value of tVIG™ to 0.48 W/(m2•K). In the meantime, the thermal insulation performance of tVIG™ is 2 to 4 times better than insulated glass and 6 to 10 times than single pane glass. tVIG™ meets all international passive house heat transfer requirements on windows and doors in stand-alone applications.
4. Thin is in right now. tVIG™ has a structure thinner and lighter than insulated glass. In comparison with triple-pane insulated glass, tVIG™ has merely one sixth of its thickness and weighs 10 kg less per square meter while managing a much better U-value.
5. Taking out the Condensation. tVIG™ effectively eliminates dew condensation between glass layers. Dew condensation is caused by the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of insulated glass. The high vacuum interspace of tVIG™ effectively eliminates the dew condensation phenomenon, while the outstanding thermal insulation performance ensures interior glass surface free of condensation even when the outdoor temperature falls to -40 ℃.
6. Acoustic Advantages. tVIG™ effectively blocks medium and low frequency penetrating noises. The high vacuum interspace of tVIG™ effectively blocks sound transmission. The weighted sound insulation measurement indicates that an outdoor noise level of 75 dB, can be reduced by 39 dB by tVIG™, while the typical reduction by regular laminated glass is only 29 dB. It has a remarkable soundproofing effect against medium and low frequency noise such as traffic and construction noise that disturb our daily lives the most.
7. No Geographic Boundaries. Factors such as geographical location, elevation, and installation angle do not affect the performance of tVIG™.
Thanks to the high vacuum interspace of tVIG™, there is no thermal expansion or contraction even if the elevation of the location where it’s used is largely different from where it’s manufactured.
8. Incredible length of life. The life expectancy of tVIG™ exceeds 25 years. The flexible edge sealing materials wakens the shear forces around the seams, avoiding the sealing failure caused by the brittle edge sealing material especially in the environment with big temperature difference between indoor and outdoor. With the assistance of built-in high efficiency getter material, tVIG™ can sustain its superior performance against harsh environments and material aging for a long time.
For more information please visit us at www.VIGtechnologies.com