In the glass and glazing industry the spandrel area is always evolving. It’s the part of the building that serves a major purpose for the design team when it comes to aesthetics but also garners a worry with regards strength, fallout, and overall building energy modeling.
With that in mind, we’ve decided to run down the five biggest issues with regards to that space and the solutions that OPACI-COAT-300® provides.
1. Glass Strength Naturally you want strong and reliable products in your building- but even more with the spandrel area because of the potential for heat build of your spandrel glass and thermal gradients which can cause glass to shatter.
It has long been demonstrated that some coatings applied to glass will weaken the glass, coupled with heat buildup and thermal gradients, resulting in breakage. Simply said- OPACI-COAT-300® is a coating on glass that does not weaken the glass. In fact, just the opposite happens which leads us to…
2. Fall Out protection So with any product that is tempered a concern is fall out protection. The possibility of either a spontaneous break or glass weakened and breaking can lead to pieces falling from a building and endangering those below.
OPACI-COAT 300® holds the glass in place in case of breakage due to how well it bonds to the glass and it’s elastomeric nature. All of this has been tested and verified as well as demonstrated for over 30 years in the market.
3. All about colors With more colors than ever in the framing side of things, the need to get that “perfect” color of the spandrel continues to grow.
One of the areas where ICD High Performance Coatings is best known is in exceptional color matching, and that includes reds and yellows that designers over the years have been told can’t be done. It can. Any Color, Not Just A Few Standard Colors!
4. Get those colors living in harmony This has two parts to it. One is the ability to match the glass colors on the building giving the architect the exact look between the vision and spandrel areas.
The other is color shift prevention. By applying OPACI-COAT-300® after tempering, the color becomes more predictable, virtually eliminating mismatched looks. Not to mention a history of 30 years in the field!
5. Sustainable Rules! Hey, it’s 2017, and more and more people truly get that we HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF OUR ENVIRONMENT! Sorry for yelling but it’s true and being able to utilize products that do not contain lead, hazardous materials or heavy metals is something Mother Nature can appreciate!
At our core we believe in creating coatings that make working and living environments healthier, OPACI-COAT-300® is one of the products that live and breath this.