In 2014, the company increased energy efficiency and improved employee safety, health and well-being.The company also achieved 27 percent of its sales from sustainable products during the year, increasing from 21 percent in 2013.
“Sustainable innovation has driven PPG’s research and development portfolio throughout our history,” said Charles F. Kahle II, PPG chief technology officer and vice president of coatings research and development. “Our customers are seeking coatings products that address a variety of sustainability considerations. From the very beginning, we’ve been positioned to find solutions that make customers’ lives easier and benefit the environment at the same time.”
In addition to growth in sustainable-product sales, the company noted progress toward achieving its 2020 sustainability goals such as:
- Reducing energy intensity by 15 percent since 2012.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 12 percent since 2012.
- Reducing its illness-and-injury rate by 17 percent since 2012, including a 5 percent decrease in the injury-and-illness rate since 2013.
- Implementing wellness programs at more than 85 percent of PPG manufacturing facilities by the end of 2014, a 10 percent increase over 2013.
- Implementing the company’s community engagement framework at more than 52 percent of PPG sites, increasing from 48 percent in 2013.
- Distributing more than $5.7 million in charitable contributions in 2014.
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.™
PPG Industries' vision is to be the world’s leading coatings company by consistently delivering high-quality, innovative and sustainable solutions that customers trust to protect and beautify their products and surroundings. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG provides added value to customers in construction, consumer products, industrial and transportation markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world. Reported net sales in 2014 were $15.4 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com and follow @PPGIndustries on Twitter.
Bringing innovation to the surface is a trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.