Date: 28 December 2018
The Group prevented wastes equal to 6 billion bottles to be thrown away, thanks to the glass wastes which were recycled during 7 years.
The world’s third largest household glassware producer, fifth largest glass packaging and flat glass producer Şişecam Group implemented the “Glass is Glass Again” project in 2011, one of the most extensive sustainability and social responsibility projects of Turkey, based on the fact that glass is the most sustainable packaging material.
Within the scope of this project, the group recycled 1 million tons of glass wastes since 2011 which prevented 1 million tons of glass, in other words 6 billion pieces of glass bottles, from going to waste during these 7 years;
- More than 20 thousand glass banks were supplied to the municipalities for use.
- Awareness training was given to more than 250 thousand primary school students.
Glass, which absolutely does not interact with the product inside and accordingly, which is the healthiest packaging material, not only contributes to the environment with its recycling capability, but also saves fuel and energy. Today, as the concept of sustainability acquires more importance, glass packaging is defined as the “most sustainable packaging material” with all its characteristics.
Carbon emission prevented equals to 384 thousand cars taken off the roads
Use of cullet at the rate of 10 percent as input in the glass production, provides a reduction of 12 percent in the raw materials, 2,5 percent in energy and 5 percent in carbon emissions.
With glass, which is a packaging material that can be recycled 100% without any quality loss, it is sufficient to use 1 glass bottle waste as input in order to produce 1 glass bottle. By recycling 1 glass bottle, it is possible to save electricity energy that can operate a computer for 25 minutes, a television for 20 minutes.
The contributions of the Glass is Glass Again project aiming the transition to a recycling society, to environment within the frame of the works carried out since 2011 are as follows:
- With the Glass and Glass Again project, carbon emission, which equals to the air cleaned by 33 million trees in one year, is prevented.
- Energy at a level to provide for the heating and hot water needs of 44,747 houses for one year, is saved.
- In raw material use, sand, which would create a beach of 10 meters wide 112 kilometers long, is saved.