Leasing is now open for the first phase of the renovated Lapthrop residence complex on Chicago’s North side. Formerly “Julia C. Lapthrop Homes,” the development will continue to provide public housing while expanding to include affordable and market rate units. Regardless of income level, all residences contain identical features and finishes.
Built during the Great Depression, the building opened in 1938 and was one of the city’s first public housing projects. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in February, 2012.
One of the most striking elements of the restoration are its windows. In the past they had been replaced with unattractive hung units which didn’t reflect the building’s original aesthetic.
Graham applied its 6700 Series design to replicate the building’s original dual casement configuration with simulated muntins. To meet the strict energy requirements Graham modified the original design of the 6700 Series windows retaining the desired aesthetics but improving thermal performance dramatically. High performance Low-E insulating glass added additional energy savings.
To find out more about the Graham window and door products used on this project, contact Bruce Croak, Graham’s marketing manager.