The products will be on display at the Association of the United States Army’s (AUSA) Annual Meeting and Exposition in Washington, D.C. from October 21 to 23, 2013 at booth #1803.
SCHOTT’s highly durable glass and glass-ceramic materials and systems improve protective transparent armor, advanced optical communications systems, laser range finders. In addition, SCHOTT provides optical glasses, architectural glass for buildings on military bases, as well as core components in a range of products. At AUSA the following will be on display:
- RESISTAN® glass-ceramic. The upgraded RESISTAN transparent armor window portfolio responds to the U.S. military’s need to cut costs by improving ballistic impact resistance and reducing delamination, thus extending the service life of the transparent armor. In addition, the most common AEP 55 protection glasses are now 10 percent lighter.
- Free space optical (FSO) communications system. The FSO communications system is a covert technology that enables uninterrupted, secure communications from building-to-building, vehicle-to-vehicle, and tower-to-tower, particularly in radio frequency-denied environments or where cable-based, high-capacity fiber optic connections are unavailable. NASA's Kennedy Space Center is currently demonstrating this techology.
- Datacom fiber. SCHOTT will introduce its datacom fiber, a glass optical fiber that offers ruggedized, high-bandwidth data transmission solutions for the military to address redundancy issues for critical applications, such as smart missiles, intra-vehicle communications, and soldier-worn data systems.
- Laser glass: neodymium- and erbium-doped. SCHOTT offers active and passive laser glasses for high-power and ultra-short laser pulse applications used in laser range finding. These materials run the gamut from neodymium-doped laser glasses to special filter glasses for use in areas requiring the utmost precision.
- Extensive product line of infrared (IR) glasses. SCHOTT IRG 22-26 glasses produce excellent transmission capabilities in the SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR ranges. The advancements in these glass materials address the quality, redundancy, and weight issues that the U.S. military faces with current and next generation surveillance, night vision, and display technologies.
- CONTURAN DARO® anti-reflective coating. A breakthrough anti-reflective, oleophobic coating with characteristics to repel fingerprints and water, and resist chemical and mechanical wear on the military’s touch-screen technology.
- OKALUX® insulating glass. The light-diffusing, insulating glass OKALUX® is ready to meet the U.S. military’s design-build energy efficiency needs.
- Electronic packaging line. SCHOTT designs and develops hermetic packages for the protection of sensitive electronics in defense and security equipment. Our hermetic packages, including hybrid packages, transistor outlines, thermal battery covers, ordnance components and other demanding feedthroughs are made of highly reliable glass-to-metal seals (GTMS) or ceramic-to-metal seals (CerTMS, CerTO). These high quality packages protect expensive and sensitive electronics from harsh environmental conditions and minimize replacement costs.
“The defense community is consistently seeking technology solutions to enhance on-mission security while also cutting spending back home,” said Major General (Ret.) Scott Custer, USAF, President and CEO of SCHOTT Defense. “At SCHOTT Defense, we place the safety and effectiveness of Soldiers first while reducing redundancy and minimizing life cycle costs for the defense community. The AUSA Exhibition is a prime opportunity for us to demonstrate the innovations and improvements we’re developing to better equip the warfighter and supply downstream contractors in the defense industry with more high-quality and high-value components, materials, and technologies.”
To download images in high resolution, visit www.schott-pictures.net.
About SCHOTT Defense
SCHOTT has been supplying the U.S. Defense market with advanced technologies for over 40 years. The company’s product range, ready to serve the defense and security industries, includes fiber optics, optical and filter glasses, glass and glass-ceramic for armor and hermetic packages for protecting sensitive electronic components.
SCHOTT is an international technology group with more than 125 years of experience in the areas of specialty glasses and materials and advanced technologies. SCHOTT ranks number one in the world with many of its products. Its core markets are the household appliance, pharmaceuticals, electronics, optics, transportation and architecture industries. The company is strongly committed to contributing to its customers’ success and making SCHOTT an important part of people’s lives with high-quality products and intelligent solutions. SCHOTT is committed to managing its business in a sustainable manner and supporting its employees, society and the environment. The SCHOTT Group maintains close proximity to its customers with manufacturing and sales units in all major markets. Its workforce of around 16,000 employees generated worldwide sales of $2.6 billion (approximately 2.0 billion euros) for the 2011/2012 fiscal year.