Award criteria included product quality, delivery, documentation, innovation, responsiveness, continuous improvement, and participation in PPG's Supplier Added Value Effort ($AVE). The firms that earned 2002 Excellent Supplier Awards, and the products and services they provide, are:
- Cleveland Steel Container Corp., based in Twinsburg, Ohio, supplies steel pails to PPG's architectural and industrial coatings businesses in the United States.
- Creative Extruded Products, based in Tipp City, Ohio, supplies extruded thermalplastic decorative lacing to PPG automotive original equipment and replacement glass businesses in the United States.
- Lloyd Transportation, Inc., Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, supplies bulk transportation for PPG coatings operations in North America.
- M&M Industries, Chattanooga, Tenn., supplies child-resistant (screw-top) polyethylene pails to PPG chlor-alkali and derivatives operations in the United States.
- PC Systems Inc., Ridgway, Pa., supplies electrical connectors to PPG's automotive original equipment and automotive replacement glass customers in North America and Europe.
- Shell Chemicals Europe, supplies solvent to PPG coatings operations in Europe. It has offices in the United Kingdom, Italy, France, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands.
- South Hills Movers, Pittsburgh, supplies employee relocation services for PPG in the Greater Pittsburgh Region.
Kathleen McGuire, vice president, purchasing and distribution, praised the performance of the seven award-winning suppliers.
"Their products, services, reliability, innovation and overall value in 2002 were outstanding," McGuire said. "We consider them invaluable business partners who provide us a significant competitive advantage."
On an annual basis, PPG purchases about $5 billion in materials and services from thousands of suppliers.