Those on the committee are expected to make a significant contribution to its activities and attend its twice yearly meetings.
Activities & tasks of TC:
- Identifying the major process steps, that show potential for energy efficiency improvement, including glass melting, glass conditioning, raw material supply & recycling, post-processing of glass;
- Select appropriate technologies;
- Test or develop tools to support energy efficiency investigations (e.g. energy balance models for glass furnaces, protocols for energy management, energy audit procedures dedicated to glass production plants, LCA modelling).
- Define research activities for developing energy saving glass production methods.
- Organize symposia or sessions on energy efficiency in glass production at ICG annual meetings and congresses;
- Share energy consumption and CO2 emission data (anonymous) for benchmarking purposes;
- Share LCA data;
- Share practical experiences and problems related to new energy saving technologies (e.g. use of batch preheating, flue gas heat recovery systems, energy efficient furnace designs, recycling etc).
Profile of TC:
The members (typically 10-16 persons) of the Technical Committee should be a balanced mix between glass industry experts, technology suppliers and academia. Preferably, each major glass sector, container glass, flat glass, glass fibres, specialty glass, domestic glass should be represented.
A core team with at least a chair person, vice chair, secretary should be created from the members.
The TC should act as a link between industry and academia.
- The TC members should preferably meet twice per year and exchange information.
- Once per two years the TC organizes symposia related to energy efficiency and/or CO2 emissions in glass production. Also indirect CO2 emissions should be addressed (CO2 emission due to raw material supply/production).
- The TC should prepare a vision document of required future directions for R&D to develop technologies improving the energy efficiency and CO2 footprint of industrial glass production.
- The TC should try to summarize new developments and publish results of these inventories.
- Additionally this TC may prepare a specific energy efficiency roadmap for 2015-2025.
- The TC reports annually to the Cluster manager “Glass Production” of the Coordinating Technical Committee of the ICG.
- Organize excursions to sites that demonstrate energy efficient technologies in glass production.
- Important is that this TC broadcasts its activities and results to the community.