Proper installation ensures a home’s windows and doors will perform as intended.
Replacing windows and doors were one of the top five most common remodeling projects of 2012, according to a National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) survey of remodelers.
“While purchasing the most expensive windows and doors on the market may seem like a good way to increase home value and save on energy costs, poorly installed products may end up costing more in the long run,” cautions Rich Walker, AAMA President and CEO.
He adds, “Installation can be complicated, and manufacturers’ installation instructions don’t always provide complete details on how to handle the hundreds of different surrounding wall and job site conditions. Also, many manufacturers’ warranties don’t cover installation; and if they do, you must use the approved and recommended installation method.”
The InstallationMasters™ Training and Certification Program is a nationwide course for installers of windows and patio doors in the residential and light commercial markets. Each participant who submits all required registration material and passes a thorough written exam is certified as an installer and receives an official InstallationMasters photo identification card. Homeowners can ask to see this card to ensure the installer’s credentials are up to date.
To assist remodelers in the proper installation of windows and doors, the following documents are available for purchase on AAMA’s Online Publication Store.
- FMA/AAMA 100-12, Standard Practice for the Installation of Windows with Flanges or Mounting Fins in Wood Frame Construction
- FMA/AAMA 200-12, Standard Practice for the Installation of Windows with Frontal Flanges for Surface Barrier Masonry Construction for Extreme Wind/Water Conditions
- AAMA 2400-10, Standard Practice for Installation of Windows with an Exterior Flush Fin Over an Existing Window Frame
- AAMA 2410-13, Standard Practice for Installation of Windows with an Exterior Flush Fin Over an Existing Window Frame
- AAMA IPCB-08, Standard Practice for the Installation of Windows and Doors in Commercial Buildings
- AAMA IM-TM-08, InstallationMasters Training Manual
To obtain additional information regarding the InstallationMasters program, please contact Karen Yetter with Architectural Testing, Inc. at 717-764-7700. More information about AAMA and its activities can be found via the AAMA Media Relations page or on the AAMA website, aamanet.org.