Date: 11 September 2014
DuPont also will lead a panel discussion featuring senior government officials, industry experts and thought leaders to discuss building a brighter solar future for India.
In India, one out of every four people do not have access to electricity, however, the country receives more than 300 days of full sun each year, making solar an ideal energy source. If just 5 percent of the Thar desert was covered with solar panels, the energy generated would meet the country’s entire energy demand. Thus, solar energy holds great promise to help India meet its energy challenge.
Advanced materials from DuPont are designed to improve the power output, reliable lifetime and return on investment for solar energy systems. DuPont™ Solamet® metallization pastes help increase the conversion efficiency of solar cells, significantly boosting the power output of solar panels. DuPont ionomer encapsulants surround and protect solar cells and panel circuitry. And, DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride (PVF) film-based backsheets have proven critical to protect solar panels, helping to ensure long term durability for their 25 year expected lifetime or longer, even in extreme climates such as exist in many parts of India.
Through key collaborations with leading solar companies in India, DuPont has helped to efficiently transform India’s abundant sunlight into to clean solar energy. For example, a recent collaboration with Aditya Birla Solar to set up a 20 megawatt power plant near Jodhpur in Rajasthan is delivering enough clean and sustainable solar energy to light up almost 300,000 rural households in India. DuPont also is collaborating with Tata Power Solar to provide a safer, more efficient, reliable and cost-effective alternative to kerosene lamps for home lighting in areas such as Uttar Pradesh, where the electricity supply is unreliable. Solar companies specifying proven materials from DuPont continue to help maximize the power output, durability and return on investment for solar energy systems.
Featured attractions in the DuPont booth include:
- DuPont™ Solamet® photovoltaic metallization pastes for high-efficiency solar cells, including Solamet® PV18x, the latest frontside silver metallization pastes offering solar cell manufacturers improved efficiency and profitability; and Solamet® PV3Nx, the latest silver/aluminum paste for n-type cells that can demonstrate up to 19.5 percent efficiency in commercial production.
- DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride (PVF) film – the only backsheet material proven to protect solar panels in the field for more than 30 years even in extreme conditions.
- New findings from the latest field research across China, the United States and Europe that indicate issues with current solar panel testing methods, and demonstrate the need for stronger standards to help ensure reliable performance over the lifetime of systems.
- DuPont™ PV Series ionomer encapsulants that provide a cost-effective solution to avoid PID (Potiential Induced Degradation) issues.
- Highlights of a collaboration with Tata Power Solar, offering innovative Solar Home Lighting Systems for the villagers of Uttar Pradesh. DuPont™ Solamet® metallization paste is specified for the solar panels at the heart of their new lighting systems to ensure the solution is as energy efficient as possible. The Solar Home Lighting Systems have been a significant offering for the 200 million villagers of Uttar Pradesh, who deal with inconsistent energy supply on a daily basis. To date, the system has provided light to approximately 400,000 households.
DuPont also is participating in key leadership and technical forums during REI, including:
- Building a Brighter Solar Future for India, on Sept. 3rd, 11:00a.m. – 12:00 noon, a panel discussion moderated by Pai Rajaram, South Asia business leader, DuPont Electronics & Communications
- Mainstreaming Solar: Industry manufacturing blueprint for GW era, a panel discussion on Sept. 3rd, 16:15- 17:45, with Rajaram as a panelist.
DuPont Photovoltaic Solutions is the leading supplier of specialty materials to the solar industry. More than half of the world’s 400 million panels installed since 1975 have DuPont materials in them. To learn more, please visit http://photovoltaics.dupont.com.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit www.dupont.com.