Cardiff High School is a comprehensive school in the Cyncoed area of Cardiff two miles from the city centre.To increase its capacity to an Eighth Form entry plus Sixth Form high school, a large double storey extension has been built, including new main entrance, reception and waiting areas, administrative office, music, drama and art classrooms and a junior hall. The main building of the school, built around 1966, is typical of the 60's/70's modern architectural style with its facade dominated by curtain walling and red cladding panels. The architectural philosophy of the extension was to deliver a new and fresh identity while creating a balance in the use of both the existing materials and new materials to complement the existing main facade.
AluK's SL52 Curtain Walling System was supplied for the main facades. This system enables specifiers to create impressive continual expanses of glass that not only enhance the aesthetics of a building but also provide the functionality and performance required to meet and exceed current standards. Also specified were the GT55 TB Door System and the 58BW ST Window System with opening vents. These two systems were incorporated in the curtain walling systems for the main facades which have been treated with larger windows and colourful cladding panels to invoke the new identity, as well as complement the existing building in a contrasting way. These two AluK systems were also used as stand alone for the remaining elevations.
The GT55 TB Door System was used for its thermal attributes: it is one of the most robust thermally broken commercial door systems available on the market. The 58BW ST Window System was specified for its U-value performance.
Russell Yates, Managing Director, AluK comments: "Our range of building solutions is continually being developed to improve thermal performance and already exceeds the requirements set by the UK government. Our thermal break profiles are designed to offer the ultimate performance and structural integrity. Through the use of innovative design, we have reduced U-values significantly, ensuring minimal heat loss and improving energy efficiency". The project was completed in December 2013.
Notes to editors Stride Treglown Stride Treglown is a multi-skilled practice where they employ specialists in a wide range of fields from project management and environmental assessment to landscape and interior architecture. All of their people work within their own sphere of expertise, enhanced by working in multi-disciplinary teams. // Kier Group Kier Group plc is a leading construction, services and property group specialising in building and civil engineering, support services, commercial property development and structured property financing and private and affordable housing. Kier Construction encompasses UK building, infrastructure and overseas businesses. Kier Services manages and delivers support services to both public and private sector clients. Kier Property comprises three main businesses: commercial, industrial, retail and mixed-use property development; structured property financing; and homes, including both private and affordable housing.
Nolan A carpenter by trade, Nolan Nicholas established Nolan uPVC Limited with the aim of creating a service-focused business that didn't fit the stereotypical image of double glazing firms. The company has grown and developed, but the principle remains the same: "To deliver the highest quality in everything we do, from manufacturing to installation to after-sales care."
As the company celebrates its twentieth anniversary, it is a commitment to this original ethos that has led to today's position as one of the largest independently owned uPVC and aluminium companies in Wales, with an annual turnover in excess of £4m.
From the manufacture and installation of basic uPVC products such as windows and doors, the company has grown through investment in its people, processes and products to offer a complex suite of uPVC and aluminium products such as conservatories, orangeries, vertical sliding sash windows, bi-folding doors and curtain walling.
AluK (GB) Ltd:
Press contacts: Jana Pavelkova, The Think Tank on T: +44 (0) 20 7831 2225 F: +44 (0) 20 7831 1408 firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Blyweert Beaufort Limited was purchased in June 2012 by the Valfidus Group, a business which owns several building systems companies across Europe and Asia. The Valfidus Group owns AluK in Italy and as part of a global rebrand has renamed businesses in the UK and France to expand the AluK Group.
2. AluK is based in South Wales where the company has its offices and manufacturing and storage facilities. The investment in the business will mean that these facilities will be expanded with additional mechanisation, manufacturing, storage, office space, a customer showroom and training facility.
3. The business has been operated under the Beaufort brand for 20 years in the UK, leading the market in the design and manufacture of high performance windows and doors. More recently it has introduced a range of curtain walling systems. AluK will be introducing a range of new tried and tested products in the coming months and years.
4. All AluK products available in the UK are tested at the facility in South Wales on the UK’s only 7m x 8m in-house testing rig. All are certified to meet relevant standards as well as under the Secured by Design Scheme, run by the Association of Chief Police Officers.
5. Key Members of the AluK team: Russell Yates, Managing Director Sean McNulty, Sales Director Peter Burke, Operations Director Nick Cooper, Technical Director Russell Yates, Managing Director, AluK Russell Yates joined the company in 2003 as a design engineer/draughtsman in the technical department. In 2006 he progressed to the role of technical manager and led the company through a redesign of the entire product offer in line with changes in building regulations. Russell was appointed Technical Director in 2008 and in the same year completed the MSc Façade Engineering course at the University of Bath. Following the acquisition of Blyweert Beaufort by Valfidus Group in June 2012 Russell was appointed Managing Director. Russell represents the company on a number of technical committees including the CWCT and Council for Aluminium in Building