Held at the UK's prestigious Landmark Hotel on 20 September, the awards gathered key industry leaders from the architectural community. This year's jury included Irving Brauer, Principal of Brauer Associates, Lucy Bullivant, an architectural curator, critic and author, and Stephen Fisher, Director of Momentum Engineering.
LEAF Awards 2011 received over 160 entries for 12 categories from leading names as well as new and lesser known organisations in the architectural and design fields. Submissions for the awards were evaluated on the basis of their strategic excellence, marketplace impact and practical developments that lay the benchmark for the way buildings are evaluated today.
Commenting on the sidelines of the awards, Ziad Yazbeck, Senior VP Sales & Marketing - Glass LLC, said: "Over the last eight editions, Emirates Glass LEAF Awards has evolved to become a global recognition that acknowledges excellence in international architectural designs. The awards raise the bar each year and encourage better design and architecture for the buildings of tomorrow"
"Glass LLC brands - Emirates Glass, Lumiglass, Saudi American Glass and Emirates Float Glass - cater to a diverse range of high performance glass to domestic and international markets. We take extreme pride in recognizing companies and individuals from around the world that make outstanding contributions to the world of architecture."
Winners of LEAF Awards 2011 that celebrate architectural excellence, innovation, as well as structural and interior design are as follows:
- The Overall LEAF Awards for 2011 was awarded to Milanofiori Residential Complex in Milan, Italy, OBR Open Building Research
- Mixed-Use Building of the Year was picked up by The Boat, Belfast in Northern Ireland, TODD Architects and Planners
- Residential Building of the Year (Single Occupancy) was won by Studio mk27 Punta House, Punta Del Este in Uruguay
- Residential Building of the Year (Multiple Occupancy) was awarded to Milanofiori Residential Complex in Milan, Italy, OBR Open Building Research
- Commercial Building of the Year was presented to Telefonica Tower Diagonal Zerozero in Barcelona, Spain, Estudi Massip-Bosch
- International Interior Design Award was bagged by St Pancras Renaissance Hotel in London, RHWL Architects
- Offsite Construction Project of the Year 2011 was won by London 2012 Olympic Stadium, London, UK, Populous
- Young Architect Award was collected by dEMM arquitectura - PAULO FERNANDES SILVA, Living Foz Porto, Portugal, J Camilo, lda
- Best Structural Design of the Year was presented to The Crystal København in Denmark, Schmidt Hammer Lassen
- Public Building Award was jointly won by Building of Control CCS Ferrol in Galicia, Spain, Díaz y Díaz Arquitectos, and Cité de l'Océan et du Surf in Biarritz, France, designed by Steven Holl + Solange Fabiao
- Best Sustainable Technology Incorporated into a Building 2011 was picked up by Thyssenkrupp Quarter, Q1, Essen, Germany, JSWD Architekten with Chaix & Morel ETA
- Best Sustainable Development in Keeping with its Environment was awarded to EDF Archives, Bure, France, Lan Architecture
About Emirates Glass:
Emirates Glass is one of the leading processors of architectural flat glass in the Middle East, exporting products to more than 28 countries around the globe. Based in the UAE, the company offers the widest variety of high-performance solar control, low-emissivity coated glass products available in the market today. Emirates Glass' high-performance coated glass products provide building owners, architects and consultants a wide range of thermal performance and aesthetic expression from which to choose.
For media inquiries, please contact:
(JiWin Public Relations)
Tel: 971 4 361 3572
Mobile: 971 55 9548680
Tel: 971 4 369 2836
Mobile: 971 55 9548658
© Press Release 2011