Tempered glass & toughned glass

hi can anybody pl guide me about what is called as tempered glass & toughned glass. what is the diffrence between two of them


Guest User
Tue, 02/05/2006 - 12:20

They are both the same product.

Guest User
Tue, 02/05/2006 - 15:37

The first respondent is correct. I will offer a little more information that may help you understand. Generally, the product is called tempered glass in the Western Hemisphere. In Europe and Asia, it is usually called toughened glass. Technically, "toughened" glass should refer to "heat treated glass," which includes both fully tempered glass and the "heat strengthened" product with less residual stress (and different fragmentation characteristics). Note that standards for residual stress in heat treated glass for various applications differ between countries.

At this point, I am not sure whether you should be more, or less, confused.

Joel Feingold
Tue, 02/05/2006 - 15:53

While the two terms are usually thought to mean the same thing, the legal definition of what constitutes fully tempered glass in the US and "toughened" glass in Europe and elsewhere is somewhat different. Both, however, require similar testing for fragmentation and mechanical strength, which can be correlated to non-destructive measurement of surface stress to reduce the requirement for destructive testing. The European definition of toughened glass has a higher threshold of surface stress (pre-stress)than does fully tempered glass in the U.S. (>90 MPa vs. >69 MPa). In the U.S., relevant standards are ASTM C1048, C1279, ANSI Z97.1, and 16 CFR 1201. In Europe, the controlling standard is EN12150, Parts 1 and 2.

Guest User
Thu, 16/10/2008 - 15:06

Hi everyone. I have a question kind of related to the topic. What is the exact different of tempered glass and heat-strenghtened glass? Can we treat both types the same in terms of structure application?

I have read and I agree to glassonweb.com's Terms of Use, including Privacy Policy and Cookie Use.