Architectural aluminium systems specialist, Technal, has launched its latest and most innovative window system to date, bringing a host of technical advancements and modern, intelligent design to enhance almost any fenestration project.The SOLEAL window has been developed to offer exceptional security, thermal, acoustic and weather performance, and unparalleled aesthetics from one single system that is available in numerous configurations. The system uses a 65mm deep profile and common components to give architects and contractors the benefit of an extensive choice of construction options combined with ease of specification and maximum efficiency in manufacturing.
For even greater design freedom, the SOLEAL window can be provided in two distinctive casement styles – a stylish ‘visible’ opening frame with an infill up to 52mm for a contemporary finish, or a patented ‘minimalist’ opening frame with slim, subtle sight lines that reduce the visible aluminium and a glazing infill of up to 42mm.
Applications for the new window system are diverse, demonstrating its versatility and fresh, modern design – from education and healthcare buildings to apartments, office schemes, retail developments, sports centres, and custodial facilities.
SOLEAL has a number of patented technical features – modular door locking for the balcony door, the clip-on trim for the ‘minimal’ option, the expanding corner cleat and the turn-around gasket for improved performance and manufacture. Other innovative advancements include:
- Profiles have outstanding thermal performance – a 24mm double glazed unit with a typical window size of 1.25m x 1.48m can achieve Uw values as low as 1.3w/m2K
- The system is sufficiently robust to facilitate large sizes of up to 2.5m by 1.4m; weighing up to 160kg
- Drainage is concealed on both the opening and fixed frames, removing the need for unsightly caps
- Tilt/turn hinges can also be concealed – an important feature to improve safety for education, health and custodial projects and to create a high standard of aesthetics with attractive, clean lines
- A choice of secure locking systems is available up to 6 point, and with or without key operation according to the level of security required
- Cills can be specified in different styles and clip-on trims can be supplied to enhance the ‘minimal’ opening frame option
- SOLEAL balcony doors have a specially-designed low threshold for ease of access whilst ensuring optimum weather resistance
- The window handles, exclusive to Technal, are robust, attractive and ergonomic, and can be anodised or finished in a full range of colours to complement the window profiles and can be adapted for use on doors and sliders to provide consistency through a project
- SOLEAL meets the BS EN 14351-1 standard for windows and doors, and is designed in line with current building standards and to anticipate future requirements
- It is also fully tested in accordance with the European standard BS EN-1627-30 achieving RC2 for burglar resistance for further reassurance and security
- The two-leaf opening option has a centred handle for balanced aesthetics.
SOLEAL is a complete window system which can be specified in multiple configurations giving architects and contractors the flexibility to meet both project-specific requirements and to have a number of visually-consistent window types on a single building. These include:
- Composite or ribbon glazing with fixed, transom or side lights
- Curtain walling inserts
- Balcony doors, both inward or outward opening
- Top, side and bottom hung windows, either projecting or on butt hinges
- Vertical or horizontal pivots with an option of concealed or visible pivot mechanisms
- Tilt/slide and tilt/turn windows
- Parallel opening windows for optimum ventilation
- Single and double leaves for both windows and balcony doors.
Business Centre, Saint-Étienne (France)
Architect: Manuelle Gautrand Architecture
Photography: Vincent Fillon
The SOLEAL high performance window is fully compatible with other Technal products, including GEODE-MX curtain walling, MODAL low rise glazing and the SOLEAL door system for seamless interfaces, ease of specification, cost efficiency, and to achieve a uniform appearance across a façade.