Most glass does get recycled

I want to clarify information on glass bottle recycling that appeared in the May 19 article, "Breaking recycling's (bottle)neck." Almost all glass containers put out for recycling do get recycled.

Oregonians recycled 83,240 tons of glass containers in 2001. This is more than 65 percent of all glass containers used in Oregon. For beer and soft-drink bottles covered under the bottle bill, the recycling rate was even higher -- about 85 percent.

In contrast, the glass recycling rate for the rest of the United States is only 26 percent, as reported by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Of the 83,240 tons of glass we recycle, 94 percent gets used to make new glass products, including new bottles and fiberglass insulation. The other 6 percent is crushed and used in place of gravel for construction purposes such as road beds.

600450 Most glass does get recycled
Date: 27 May 2003

See more news about:

Others also read

Local quality glass producer Emirates Glass Limited has won contracts to supply 68,000 square metres of its high quality EmiCool glass to five major projects in Dubai.
Southwall Technologies Inc. (Nasdaq:SWTX), a global developer, manufacturer and marketer of thin-film coatings for the electronic display, automotive glass and architectural markets, today announced that on Dec. 18, 2003, it secured an agreement for a new bank loan guarantee and equity financing package of up to $7.5 million from Needham & Company, Inc., its affiliates and Dolphin Asset Management.
When did the wine industry start using glass bottles, and how did they settle on their current size of 750ml? For the answer to these questions, you have to go back in time - back thousands of years to when wine was first cultivated and enjoyed.
Praxair, Inc. (NYSE: PX) today announced that its subsidiary Praxair Canada Inc.'s specialty gases plant in Paris, Ontario, Canada, is one of Praxair's first specialty gases plants in North America to complete the upgrade to ISO 9001:2000, the latest ISO 9000 standard for quality.
KUB Malaysia Bhd has accepted an offer from Nippon Sheet Glass Co Ltd (NSG) to acquire its 15% stake in Malaysian Sheet Glass Bhd (MSG) for RM32.6 million in cash, or RM2.68 per share.
Co-Ventures in Glass Containers (CVIGC, Ltd.) of Tampa, Florida, USA and Micro-Tek Canada, Inc. Of Toronto, Canada are excited to announce the beginning of a long term joint venture to combine their extensive experiences and resources to offer the Glass Container Industry globally a best value alternative for all their outsourcing needs in manufacturing, operations and technical assistance agreements, specifically targeted to the smaller manufacturers who have found the larger service companies to be cost and profit prohibitive.The principals of the two companies have found a global need for smaller glass companies who require excellent technical resources to properly compete within the industry without the high costs of employing their own staffs or outsourcing their requirements to the larger service companies whose own operating costs and overhead are substantial.

Add new comment