The Special Show “Ecodesign: for people + the environment” organised jointly by the ift Rosenheim and Messe München, which takes place in Munich from 19- 24 January 2015, will showcase a selection of materials, designs, technologies and services relevant to the construction and use of the building envelopes and building components of the future.The ideas and products presented at the show are based on concepts such as bionics, Universal Design, and cradle-to-cradle design, and all aim to protect the environment, conserve natural resources, increase people’s quality of life, improve safety, and tailor our surroundings more to the needs of future generations.
Ecodesign means designing materials, technologies and services for the building envelopes and building components of the future
As a result of ongoing urbanisation, the buildings in which most people live and work today are located in metropolitan areas. In order to keep the environment in a fit state, the amount of energy and resources required to construct and operate these buildings needs to be dramatically reduced. Materials are being rapidly depleted, so people must stop using materials unchecked. In addition, if we are to continue enjoying a reliable supply of raw materials in the future, we need to establish closed materials loops. This paradigm shift will produce new business models where the focus is no longer on the specifics of buying and selling the building materials, but instead on their function and use. The new key criteria that materials will need to meet in the future will therefore include material and energy efficiency, quality, customer satisfaction, and a long service life based on easy maintenance and the easy replacement of worn parts.
The successful companies in the future will be those that start today to develop and test innovative concepts, and to integrate these into their workflows. The Special Show will provide new impetus in these important areas, and will look at the following topics:
- New materials, finishes, alloys and designs (composite materials, pressure-equalised insulating glass units, etc.) for windows, glass and facades made from wood, plastic and metal
- “Green building materials” based on organic products and renewable raw materials (wood products, insulating materials, materials for interiors) and bioactive products and coatings for purifying air and water (antibacterial coatings, wall materials/paints and finishes)
- Ways of achieving greater convenience, safety and security (e.g. burglar resistance, safety in use, accessibility, automation) based on principles such as bionics and Universal Design
- Technologies for exploiting renewable energy in the building envelope (organic PV modules and LED films), producing biomass, and improving energy efficiency and solar efficiency with the help of energy storage systems and improved insulating systems
- “Smart” and automatic building components (pedestrian, industrial and commercial doors and windows) for greater convenience, energy efficiency and safety/security (smart home technologies)
- Waste-free product and materials loops based on the “cradle to cradle” principle, and design methods that permit easy replacement of components and hence improve the usability, maintenance and opportunities for reuse (recycling) of a material
Companies and institutions that would like to showcase their ideas and products at the Special Show are warmly invited to submit their application. Full details can be found at www.ift-rosenheim.de/en/bau2015.