It’s a ‘sticky campus’.
Taking its distinct design cue from the structure of the former 1920’s bank note facility, Schiavello completed the industrial-natured refurbishment in four stages. This included the lower ground, ground floor and addition of a six-storey external staircase enclosed in a glazed facade. Making the first impression from the exterior, Glassworks supplied their pioneering LoE-366® low-emissivity glass in 6mm – becoming more and more recognised for it’s solar control and high visibilty.
Making up such a significant portion of the exterior, LoE-366 really was a wise choice as it means occupants can enjoy a more naturally temperature controlled building, less glare and full view from the inside out – all conducive to studying and concentration. The client can also ultimately enjoy reduced electricity costs and less cleaning thanks to the added Neat® easy-clean coating.
Featuring open batten ceilings to reveal exposed structural and services elements, a new reception, security office, bookstore, cafeteria and lounge areas – all newly constructed for the open space. The lower ground also incorporates a new state-of-the-art radio room, Student Council Office, Facilities Department amenities and mail room. Utilising a neutral palette of stone and timber, the highly durable materials were chosen to weather high traffic use. Glassworks were pleased to be engaged for works on the external staircase which additionally embraces the building’s original window fenestration.
The new ground floor also maintains the building’s heritage integrity by replacing existing aluminium framed windows with steel frames created by Schiavello subsidiary, Metcon.
Glass | LoE-366
Builder | Schiavello
Architect | HASSEL